14 February 2011

Spiders

There is one spider clinging to the side of my apartment building. I can't say it makes me happy, but nevertheless, I admire it every time I walk under the web where it is hanging. (I cringe and side step too). In autumn Seattle becomes a mass of spiders, casting their webs on ever corner, bush, tree and railing. I don't know why, but I certainly do shudder internally when I look at their fat, fat, frog like bodies and excessive pointy legs. Perhaps it is because they move so unpredictably, or because they look so alien. Or, because they bite. I tell myself that they are good for insect control and that most spiders found in Seattle are not poisonous in a lethal sort of way. Still, the older I get the less I like them.

This lone spider has somehow survived winter. Or it was hatched too early and now it struggles in a February world where there is a paucity of insects and frequent rain and wind. I admire you little spider, but please stay far from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment